***This blog article is meant to ensure your daily food intake includes the essential headache-fighting ingredients below. Please ensure you also add a variety of fruits and vegetables.
FOOD TO INCLUDE ON DAILY BASIS:
1. Omega 3 (fish oils) is type of EPA (eicosapentaenoic acid)
WHY?: natural anti-inflammatory
WHERE?: capsules (50 g) AND/OR natural foods: e.g.: salmon, mackerel, trout, herring.
WHY?: decrease vasospasm, increase serotonin
WHERE?: capsules AND/OR milk, yogurt, cheeses, broccoli, almonds, salmon, apricots, orange, tofu.
3. magnesium (citrate) **take separate time than Calcium or else Calcium used up to help body absorb magnesium.
WHY?: helps sleep, decrease vasospasm, good for menstrual headaches
WHERE?: Capsules AND/OR tofu, whole grain cereals, broccoli, spinach, black beans, etc.
4. vitamin D
WHY?: helps absorb calcium, natural anti-inflammatory
WHERE?: capsules AND/OR 20 minutes sun exposure daily, butter, milk, sardines, eggs.
WHY?: proper hydration helps nervous system function better
WHERE?: no need to use filtered water, keep jug of tap water in fridge, drink at least 4 coffee cups of water per day
FOODS TO AVOID:
- excessive alcohol (social drinking once per week is okay)
- caffeine (no coffee, no energy drinks, no sodas)
- excessive red meat (limit yourself to 3 red meat meals per week, instead use beans + rice, fish, lean chicken, etc)
- table salt
- processed sugar (avoid candy bars, ice creams, etc)
- avoid fast food
- avoid white flour products (no white rice, white pasta, white bread, etc)